Bronx, N.Y. -
Freshman Melissa Rigo tallied a match-high 19 kills and sophomore Evann Slaughter added 15 as the Stony Brook volleyball team rallied for a thrilling five-set victory over Fordham on Friday night at the Rose Hill Classic. The Seawolves fell in five sets to NJIT earlier in the day. Set scores for the Fordham match were 17-25, 25-18, 21-25, 29-27, 15-13. Set scores for the NJIT match were 25-22, 24-26, 26-24, 18-25, 15-12.
The Numbers Game
• Rigo posted her third double-double of the season (22 kills, 15 digs) against NJIT, hitting .340
• Evann Slaughter had a season-high 15 kills in both matches and a combined 11 blocks
• Senior Greta Strenger had a career-best 15 digs against Fordham
• Stony Brook is 1-2 in five set matches this season
• Freshman Nicole Vogel and sophomore Hannah Dolan split the setting duties; Vogel had a combined 50 assists and Dolan had 38.
• After dropping the opening set against NJIT, Stony Brook trailed 24-21 in set two before scoring five straight points to tie the match 1-1
• SB dropped the third set to the Highlanders but rallied for the set four win, closing by scoring 10 of the final 13 points
• SB then jumped to a 12-9 lead in the fifth set on two kills by Rigo sandwiched around a kill from senior Greta Strenger but NJIT then reeled off six straight points to clinch the set and the match
• Stony Brook rallied to take a 26-25 lead on a Rigo kill but NJIT against answered with three straight points to take the set
• The Seawolves hit .500 in the second set win against Fordham
• Stony Brook faced three match points in the fourth set against Fordham before forcing the match to a fifth set
• SB trailed 12-10 in the fifth set vs. Fordham but rallied for the win by scoring five of the last six points including a kill by Rigo, who also combined on a block with Slaughter to get the rally started
The Seawolves complete play at the Rose Hill Classic on Saturday, facing Cornell at 9 a.m. and Bucknell at 4:30 p.m.