Feb. 20, 2013
Gainesville, Fla. – Despite four points on three goals and one assist for Claire Petersen, the Stony Brook women’s lacrosse team could not overcome a fast start by No. 3/3 Florida and fell, 16-9, Wednesday afternoon at Donald R. Dizney Stadium.
Demmianne Cook and Amber Kupres each tallied two goals, while Janine Hillier and Michelle Rubino netted one apiece for Stony Brook (1-1).
Frankie Caridi made a game-high nine stops in 60 minutes of play.
Kitty Cullen posted five points on three goals and two assists, and Brittany Dashiell and Shannon Gilroy registered game-bests of four goals each as Florida improved to 4-0 on the season.
“We dug ourselves a hole and battled back to get it to 12-8. We showed character and fight and will grow from this. To beat a quality team like Florida, it has to be a complete effort. We expect more from ourselves. We feel that we are a top program and at times, we showed it.”
--Head Coach Joe Spallina
The Seawolves found themselves down, 10-1, with 12:29 remaining in the first half but stormed back to close the gap to four, 12-8, on a goal by Janine Hillier about 20 ticks into the second stanza. During the gutsy 7-2 run, Petersen tallied two goals and one assist.
Florida stifled the rally with four unanswered scores, including two by Gilroy at the 17:18 and 9:18 marks respectively, to retake control with a 16-8 lead with 8:20 to play.
UF: Dashiell free position shot at 29:10, 1-0 UF
UF: Nora Barry unassisted at 28:01, 2-0 UF
UF: Cullen unassisted at 24:28, 3-0 UF
UF: Ashley Bruns unassisted at 24:00, 4-0 UF
UF: Gabi Wiegand unassisted at 22:48, 5-0 UF
SBU: Cook unassisted at 21:04, 5-1 UF
UF: Gilroy free position shot at 20:28, 6-1 UF
UF: Cullen unassisted at 19:53 (up), 7-1 UF
UF: Cullen free position shot at 16:14, 8-1 UF
UF: Dashiell from Wiegand at 12:57, 9-1 UF
UF: Barry from Cullen at 12:59, 10-1 UF
SBU: Petersen free position shot at 11:38, 10-2 UF
SBU: Rubino unassisted at 8:21, 10-3 UF
SBU: Petersen unassisted at 6:32, 10-4 UF
SBU: Kupres from Petersen at :15, 10-5 UF
UF: Gilroy free position shot at 28:44, 11-6 UF
SBU: Cook unassisted at 27:54, 11-6 UF
UF: Dashiell unassisted at 26:34, 12-6 UF
SBU: Kupres (up) free position shot at 21:19, 12-7 UF
SBU: Hillier free position shot at 19:37, 12-8 UF
UF: Gilroy free position shot at 17:18, 13-8 UF
UF: Dashiell from Barry at 10:41, 14-8 UF
UF: Gilroy unassted at 9:18, 15-8 UF
UF: Bruns from Cullen at 8:20, 16-8 UF
SBU: Petersen free position shot at :21, 16-9 UF
The Numbers Game
- The Seawolves caused more turnovers than the Gators by a 9-4 margin. Freshman Alyssa Fleming caused two turnovers in just her second collegiate game as did seniors Melissa Rotante and Justyne Passarelli.
- Florida committed 10 turnovers, while Stony Brook committed 8.
- U of F outshot SBU, 29-22 and put 25 on net compared to 17 for Stony Brook.
- The Gators held a very slight 16-15 edge in ground balls. Caridi tallied a game-high of four, while Passarelli scooped up three.
- Florida held a commanding 19-8 lead on draw controls.
News and Notes
- Florida now holds a 2-0 record in the all-time series after the then-No. 6/5 Gators defeated the Seawolves, 17-4, on March 14, 2012.
- Stony Brook defeated a ranked opponent for the first time in school history when it downed No. 20/17 Johns Hopkins, 15-14, on the road on March 3, 2012.
Stony Brook has a week off before facing off with Central Connecticut Wednesday, Feb. 27 at 4 p.m. in New Britain, Conn.