Men's tennis splits with Connecticut, Army
Feb. 8, 2014
West Point, N.Y. -
The Stony Brook men's tennis team opened the spring season in style, defeating Connecticut, 6-1, Friday afternoon at the Litchenberg Tennis Center.
Despite singles wins at No. 4, 5 and 6, the Seawolves dropped a 4-3 decision to Army Saturday afternoon.
After capturing the doubles point, Stony Brook's strong group of underclassmen dominated singles play. Sophomore Marcelo Locatelli (Londrina, Brazil) and freshman Brandon Stone (Melville, N.Y.) each won in straight sets, and sophomore Jose Morales (Bradenton, Fla.) and freshman Tyler Hoffman (Sayville, N.Y.) each won 6-2 in a third-set tiebreaker to help the Seawolves clinch their first victory of the season.
Sophomore Vinicius Degani (Sao Paolo, Brazil) also was victorious, claiming a 6-4, 6-5 (3) victory at No. 6 singles.
Stony Brook lost the doubles point to Army, but roared back with three singles victories. Stone won 6-5, 6-4 at No. 5 and Hoffman and Degani also claimed victories, but freshman Alexandre Felisa (Boulogne, France) fell to Asika Isoh, 6-5 (7-4), 6-3 at No. 1 singles.
The Seawolves will travel south on Interstate 95 for their next matches, taking on Temple and Lehigh in two weeks.
Stony Brook 6, Connecticut 1
1. Wayne Harrell (UC) def. Alexandre Felisa (SBU), 6-2, 6-4
2. Marcelo Locatelli (SBU) def. Jacob Spreyer (UC), 6-2, 6-4
3. Jose Morales (SBU) def. Christopher Toner (UC), 6-2, 3-6, 6-2
4. Tyler Hoffman (SBU) def. Ryan Carr (UC), 6-3, 3-6, 6-2
5. Brandon Stone (SBU) def. Parker Goldstein (UC), 6-2, 6-3
6. Vinicius Degani (SBU) def. Andrew Ginzberg (UC), 6-4, 6-5 (7-3)
Army 4, Stony Brook 3