Men's Tennis splits on opening weekend
Feb. 6, 2012
Hanover, N.H. - The Stony Brook men's tennis team split a pair of matches over the weekend in its first matches of the spring season. The Seawolves fell to Dartmouth, 6-1, on Saturday before defeating Southern New Hampshire, 5-2, on Sunday.
Stony Brook (1-1) earned the doubles point against Southern New Hampshire and then won at singles positions 3-6 to take the match. Freshman Stefan Ilic (Forest Hills, N.Y.) won in straight sets at No. 3 and senior Max Sztabholz (Paris, France) won 6-3, 6-1 at No. 4.
Junior Robert Forai (Novi Sad, Serbia) and sophomore Ryan Schmitz (Schenectady, N.Y.) then lost just one combined games at the No. 5 and 6 positions, respectively. Sophomore Nikita Fomin (Moscow, Russia) won SBU's only point against Dartmouth, defeating Xander Centenari, 6-1, 6-4 at No. 1 singles.
Fomin and freshman Francis Bertrand (Repentigny, Quebec) also combined to win 8-7 at No. 2 doubles against Dartmouth.
The Seawolves return to action this weekend with matches against Army and Connecticut.
Dartmouth 6, Stony Brook 1
Stony Brook 5, Southern New Hampshire 2
1. Mitch Dobek (SNH) def. Bertrand (SBU) 6-7 (2-7), 7-6 (8-6), 6-4
2. Juan Arango-Campo (SNH) def. Kailaheimo (SBU) 6-2, 7-5
3. Ilic (SBU) def. Alex Mukdaprakorn (SNH) 6-3, 6-2
4. Sztabholz (SBU) def. Mike Wallace (SNH) 6-3, 6-1
5. Forai (SBU) def. Jared Wright (SNH) 6-0, 6-0
6. Ryan Schmitz (SBU) def. Brad Malenich (SNH) 6-1, 6-0