Sept. 28, 2013
Brookline, Mass. - Senior Will Casey (Setauket, N.Y.) broke a scoreless tie in the 66th minute with a header goal as the Stony Brook men's soccer team defeated defending CAA champion Northeastern, 1-0, Saturday evening at Parsons Field.
The win returns Stony Brook back to the .500 mark at 4-4-0 while Northeastern falls to 3-4-2.
In the 66th minute, sophomore Martin Giordano (Weston, Fla.) intercepted a pass that Northeastern goalkeeper Dylan Faber was attempting to make. Giordano then sprinted with the ball before sending into the box to a waiting Casey, who headed it past Faber for the score.
The Numbers Game
- Northeastern outshot Stony Brook, 12-10, but the Seawolves had four shots on goal to the Huskies' three.
- This was the third time this season Stony Brook has held its opponent to three shots on goal or fewer.
- Casey scored his team-leading fourth goal of the season, and he now has two game-winning goals on the year (both in 1-0 wins).
- Giordano earned his second assist on the season.
- Casey, Giordano and senior Shane Wixted (Melbourne Beach, Fla.) produced Stony Brook's shots on goal.
- Senior Carlos Villa (Caracas, Venezuela) made his first appearance and start of the year in goal and finished with three saves for a clean sheet.
News & Notes
- Stony Brook improved to 3-5-0 all-time against Northeastern. This was the first meeting between the two teams since Nov. 3, 2004.
- This was Stony Brook's second all-time win at Northeastern, the last coming Oct. 4, 2000.
- The Seawolves are now 22-2-1 all-time under Anatol when scoring the match's first goal.
- Three of Stony Brook's four wins this season have come via shutout.
Stony Brook will commence America East play next Friday, Oct. 4 when the Seawolves host Albany at LaValle Stadium at 7 p.m. The game will be streamed live on AmericaEast.TV and broadcasted on the radio on WUSB 90.1 FM.