Dec. 18, 2013
2013-14 Stony Brook Men's Basketball
BALTIMORE - Fresh off its first conference win of the season, Stony Brook is back to non-conference action as it takes on Loyola Maryland for the first time since 2001. The #Seawolves are seeking their third true road victory of the season.
|Game 12 Matchup - Thursday, Dec. 19
|Stony Brook (7-4) vs. Loyola Maryland (5-3)
|Reitz Arena • Baltimore, Md. • 7:30 p.m.
(Champions Radio 96.9/107.1 FM)
(Patriot League Network)
Stony Brook #Seawolves (7-4, 1-0 America East)
Head Coach: Steve Pikiell, ninth season
Overall Record: 132-148
Record at SBU: 127-130
Loyola Maryland Greyhounds (5-3, 0-0 Patriot League)
Head Coach: G.G. Smith, first season
Overall Record: 5-3
Record at LMD: 5-3
About the Game
- Although the #Seawolves played their first America East game of the season last Sunday, it’s back to non-conference action as Stony Brook takes on Loyola Maryland.
- This is the third all-time meeting between the two teams, but the first since 2001. Stony Brook is 2-0 all-time against the Greyhounds, including 1-0 at Reitz Arena.
- This is Stony Brook’s first game against a member of the Patriot League in nearly three years (Dec. 29, 2010 vs. Colgate).
- Stony Brook is 2-1 this season and 15-8 since the start of last season in true road games.
- Senior Dave Coley has scored in double figures in each of the last seven games, averaging 12.3 points a game during the span.
Scouting Loyola Maryland
- The Greyhounds were picked to finish fifth in its first season in the Patriot League. Loyola most recently was in the Metro Atlantic Athletic Conference (MAAC) and has appeared in postseason play in each of the last two seasons (NCAA in 2012, CIT in 2013).
- Loyola returned two starters from last year’s postseason squad, including first-team All-MAAC guard Dylon Cormier, who is off to an incredible offensive start this year. He is fifth in the country in scoring, averaging 23.6 points a game. He has eclipsed 30 points three times, including a career-high 34 at UMBC.
- Loyola opened the season with four straight wins, including victories over America East members Binghamton and UMBC on the road.
- As a team, Loyola has only committed 87 turnovers this season, the 14th fewest in the nation.
If Stony Brook Wins...
- Stony Brook will improve to 8-4, which will match the 2012-13 team for best 12-game start in the program’s Div. I history.
- The #Seawolves will improve to 3-1 in true road games this season.