March 1, 2014
2013-14 Stony Brook Men's Basketball
STAY CONNECTED WITH OUR MOBILE APP: iPHONE | ANDROID
The Last Meeting
January 29, 2014
Warney's 21 points not enough in #Seawolves loss at Albany
Sophomore Jameel Warney (Plainfield, N.J.) had a big night with 21 points on 10-of-15 shooting, but the Stony Brook men's basketball team allowed Albany to shoot 51.1 percent from the field and 26-for-32 from the free throw line as the Great Danes defeated the #Seawolves, 77-67, Wednesday night at SEFCU Arena.
Stony Brook, N.Y. - The Stony Brook #Seawolves will close the regular season looking for momentum Sunday when they host Albany at Pritchard Gymnasium at 2 p.m. It is Senior Day, and the #Seawolves will honor their four graduating seniors - Dave Coley, Anthony Jackson, Eric McAlister and Ben Resner - in a pregame ceremony.
Sunday's game will be nationally broadcast on ESPN3.
|Game 30 Matchup - Sunday, March 2
|Stony Brook (20-9) vs. Albany (15-13)
|Pritchard Gymnasium • Stony Brook, N.Y. • 2 p.m.
Stony Brook #Seawolves (20-9, 12-3 America East)
Head Coach: Steve Pikiell, ninth season
Overall Record: 145-153
Record at SBU: 140-135
Albany Great Danes (15-13, 9-7 America East)
Head Coach: Will Brown, 13th season
Overall Record: 187-204
Record at Albany: same
About the Game
- Stony Brook wraps up the regular season and potentially plays its final game at Pritchard Gymnasium Sunday against rival Albany.
- Today is Senior Day and at 1:46 p.m., the team will honor its four graduating seniors - Dave Coley, Anthony Jackson, Eric McAlister and Ben Resner.
- This is the 63rd all-time meeting between the two SUNY rivals, and the Great Danes lead the series 37-25. Stony Brook has won 11 of the last 15 matchups, including four of the last five at home.
- The #Seawolves are locked into the No. 2 seed at next week’s America East Championship, but they could affect whether Albany is the No. 3 or No. 4 seed today.
- Since returning to Pritchard Gymnasium in 2008, the #Seawolves are 60-18 in the building, including 36-3 in their last 39 games.
- The defending conference tournament champions are looking to reach the 10-win mark in conference for the first time since 2007-08. Albany has finished 9-7 in each of the last three seasons.
- Albany will be a dangerous team in the America East Championship as it hosts the tournament on its home court. The team is 3-1 in tournament games at SEFCU Arena.
- The Great Danes are middle of the pack in most America East stat categories, but they have a strong defense (64.1 PPG) and are one of only three teams in the league with a positive rebounding margin (+2.6).
- Albany’s starting lineup accounts for 81% of the team’s points this season, led by Peter Hooley’s 14.8 PPG.
- Gary Johnson made a huge leap this season, going from averaging 3.5 PPG last year to 11.1 PPG this season.
If Stony Brook Wins...
- The #Seawolves will finish with 13 or more conference wins for the fourth time in the last five seasons.
- Stony Brook will improve to 37-3 in its last 40 games at Pritchard Gymnasium.