Feb. 26, 2014
2013-14 Stony Brook Men's Basketball
STAY CONNECTED WITH OUR MOBILE APP: iPHONE | ANDROID
The Last Meeting
January 24, 2014
Stony Brook, N.Y.
#Seawolves pull out 67-64 win over Vermont at sold-out Pritchard
Sophomore Jameel Warney (Plainfield, N.J.) delivered 18 points and nine rebounds, senior Anthony Jackson (Columbus, Ohio) had 16 points and the Stony Brook men's basketball team survived a furious Vermont rally with stout defense at the end as the #Seawolves came away with a 67-64 victory over the Catamounts at a raucous, sold-out Pritchard Gymnasium Friday night.
Burlington,Vt. - First place is on the line Thursday night as the Stony Brook men's basketball team travels to Patrick Gymnasium for a 7 p.m. tilt with the Vermont Catamounts. UVM comes into the game having won 15 of its last 16 games and is 13-1 in America East. The #Seawolves have won 11 of their last 13 games and are one game behind the Catamounts at 12-2. Stony Brook can tie Vermont and own the tiebreaker with a victory. The Catamounts can clinch the regular season title outright with a win.
#Seawolves fans unable to make Thursday night's game can attend watch parties in Stony Brook, Manhattan and Washington, DC. To register for the game parties, click here.
Thursday night's first-place battle will be nationally broadcast on ESPN3.
|Game 29 Matchup - Thursday, Feb. 27
|Stony Brook (20-8) vs. Vermont (19-9)
|Patrick Gymnasium • Burlington, Vt. • 7 p.m.
Stony Brook #Seawolves (20-8, 12-2 America East)
Head Coach: Steve Pikiell, ninth season
Overall Record: 145-152
Record at SBU: 140-134
Vermont Catamounts (19-9, 13-1 America East)
Head Coach: John Becker, third season
Overall Record: 70-77
Record at Vermont: 64-33
About the Game
- First place and momentum heading into March is on the line Thursday when Stony Brook plays Vermont in front of a raucous Patrick Gymnasium crowd.
- This is the 29th all-time meeting between the two teams. Vermont has a strangehold on the all-time series, leading 20-8, but the #Seawolves are 5-5 against the Catamounts in the last 10 matchups.
- This is a matchup of two teams that will have captured the last five conference regular season championships (including this season).
- Jameel Warney is shooting 72% (18-for-25) in three career games against Vermont.
- Stony Brook controls its own destiny for the America East regular season championship and tournament No. 1 seed, but Vermont can lock it up with a win tonight.
- Preseason favorites to win America East, Vermont has absolutely dominated the competition with a 13-1 record.
- Vermont leads America East in scoring defense (59.8 PPG, scoring margin (+11), field goal percentage offense (.468) and defense (.395) and three-point field goal percentage offense (.391) and defense (.321).
- The Catamounts are pasting conference foes with a +22 scoring margin in their 14 America East games, including +26 at home. Stony Brook is the only team to beat them and Hartford is the only other team to come within single digits of them.
- The team’s incredibly efficient offense has five players averaging between 7.4 and 12.8 points, led by Clancy Rugg. Sandro Carissimo, who was held scoreless by the #Seawolves last month, is averaging 12.6 points.
- Despite being the team’s seventh-leading scorer, Brian Voelkel makes the team go with 8.1 rebounds and 5.8 assists per game.
If Stony Brook Wins...
- Stony Brook will tie Vermont in the standings and move one win away from at least a share of the regular season championship, which would be their fourth in five years.