Feb. 22, 2014
2013-14 Stony Brook Men's Basketball
STAY CONNECTED WITH OUR MOBILE APP: iPHONE | ANDROID
The Last Meeting
January 26, 2014
Stony Brook, N.Y.
Walker's career day leads #Seawolves over Maine, 79-61
Redshirt freshman Ahmad Walker (Port Washington, N.Y.) delivered a career-high 22 points and 11 rebounds, and the Stony Brook men's basketball used a 27-10 run at the start of the second half to pull away with a 79-61 win over Maine Sunday at Pritchard Gymnasium.
Bangor, Maine - With just three games left in the regular season, the chase for the America East Championship is on as Stony Brook heads north to battle Maine Sunday at the Cross Insurance Center at 2 p.m. The #Seawolves are in control of their own destiny and can win the regular season championship and tournament No. 1 seed if they win their last three games.
Sunday's clash will air live on AmericaEast.TV.
|Game 28 Matchup - Sunday, Feb. 23
|Stony Brook (19-8) vs. Maine (5-20)
|Cross Insurance Center • Bangor, Maine • 2 p.m.
Stony Brook #Seawolves (19-8, 11-2 America East)
Head Coach: Steve Pikiell, ninth season
Overall Record: 144-152
Record at SBU: 139-134
Maine Black Bears (5-20, 3-10 America East)
Head Coach: Ted Woodward, 10th season
Overall Record: 116-175
Record at Maine: same
About the Game
- Stony Brook, winner of 10 of its last 12 games, visits Maine as the regular season rapidly approaches its conclusion.
- This is the 31st all-time matchup between the two teams. Maine leads the all-time series 16-14, but the #Seawolves have won six straight matchups, including the last two up in Maine. Last year, SB played at Alfond Arena, and in 2012, the two teams played at Memorial Gym, making this the third venue in three trips to Maine.
- In two games coming off the bench Jameel Warney is averaging 18.5 points and 7.5 rebounds while shooting 60 percent.
- This is a matchup between America East’s top two scoring offenses (Maine - 72.5 PPG, SB - 72.3 PPG) and also a matchup of the best rebounding team (SB +6.6) and the worst rebounding team (Maine -7.5).
- Stony Brook controls its own destiny for the America East regular season championship and tournament No. 1 seed.
- The Black Bears have lost four straight, three of which were road games. They are 2-8 in their last 10 home games.
- Maine has an outstanding offense that leads America East at 72.5 points a game. Xavier Pollard leads with 14.8 PPG, which ranks fifth in the conference.
- You never know exactly who is going to beat you; Maine has had nine different players lead the team in scoring.
- Zarko Valjarevic is a three-point machine (2.6/game).
- Maine’s defense has been an issue, allowing 83.5 points a game, which is last in the conference and over 10 points a game worse than any other team. Opponents have eclipsed 80 points vs. Maine 17 times this season.
If Stony Brook Wins...
- The #Seawolves will reach the 20-win mark for the third consecutive season and fourth time in five years.
- Stony Brook will extend its winning streak over Maine to seven games.