Feb. 18, 2014
2013-14 Stony Brook Men's Basketball
STAY CONNECTED WITH OUR MOBILE APP: iPHONE | ANDROID
The Last Meeting
January 20, 2014
Coley's 22, Warney's double-double lead #Seawolves over UMBC
Senior Dave Coley (Brooklyn, N.Y.) scored a career-high 22 points, his third 20-point effort in his last four games, and the Stony Brook men's basketball team had another outstanding night on the glass with a +14 rebounding margin as the #Seawolves defeated UMBC, 81-62, Monday afternoon at the Retrievers Activities Center Arena. Sophomore Jameel Warney (Plainfield, N.J.) added 17 points and 11 rebounds for his second straight double-double and eighth of the season.
Stony Brook, N.Y. - The #Seawolves return home for a Wednesday night battle with the UMBC Retrievers. Stony Brook has beaten UMBC 11 consecutive times, and the #Seawolves have a chance to lock up no worse than the No. 2 seed in the America East Championship.
The first 500 fans in attendance will receive a FREE, limited edition Wolfie Bobblehead, courtesy of Bagels Express.
|Game 27 Matchup - Wednesday, Feb. 19
|Stony Brook (18-8) vs. UMBC (9-17)
|Pritchard Gymnasium • Stony Brook, N.Y. • 7 p.m.
(Champions 96.9/107.1 FM)
Stony Brook #Seawolves (18-8, 10-2 America East)
Head Coach: Steve Pikiell, ninth season
Overall Record: 143-152
Record at SBU: 138-134
UMBC Retrievers (9-17, 5-8 America East)
Head Coach: Aki Thomas, second season
Overall Record: 17-40
Record at UMBC: same
About the Game
- Stony Brook, winner of nine of its last 11 games, takes on UMBC in the penultimate home game of the regular season.
- This is the 25th all-time matchup between the two teams. Stony Brook leads the all-time series 16-8 and has won 11 straight in the series, the longest active winning streak the team has over one opponent.
- Over his last five games played, Carson Puriefoy is averaging 14.0 points and 2.8 assists while shooting 57.1% from three-point range. This includes a 14-point game at UMBC.
- The first 500 fans in attendance are receiving a free, limited edition Wolfie Bobblehead.
- A win will ensure Stony Brook receives no lower than the No. 2 seed at the America East Championship.
- The Retrievers are on pace for their most conference wins since the 2008-09 season. They are two games out of fourth place with five games to play.
- UMBC has won four of its last seven games, including big home wins over third-place Hartford and fourth-place Albany, but the team is coming off a tough road loss at first-place Vermont.
- Rodney Elliott is having a great rookie season, leading the team in scoring at 14.8 (PPG). His 15.2 PPG average during conference play is third-best in the league. He had seven points in the final two minutes to help beat Albany.
- Turnovers are a huge part of UMBC’s game. The Retrievers lead the conference in turnovers committed (15.0/gm) and turnovers caused (15.7/gm). The team also leads the conference in steals (8.1/gm).
If Stony Brook Wins...
- Stony Brook will win its 36th game in its last 39 tries at Pritchard Gymnasium.
- Head Coach Steve Pikiell will become the sole leader for most coaching wins in program history (139).
- Stony Brook will extend its winning streak over UMBC to 12 games.