Jan. 11, 2014
2013-14 Stony Brook Men's Basketball
West Hartford, Conn. - The #Seawolves wrap up a stretch of three consecutive road games Sunday when they face Hartford at 2:30 p.m. Stony Brook has won seven consecutive America East games and is facing the team that was the last to beat it during conference play (Feb. 10, 2013).
|Game 16 Matchup - Sunday, Jan. 12
|Stony Brook (9-6) vs. Hartford (7-10)
|Chase Family Arena West Hartford, Conn. 2:30 p.m.
(Champions Radio 96.9/107.1 FM)
Stony Brook #Seawolves (9-6, 1-0 America East)
Head Coach: Steve Pikiell, ninth season
Overall Record: 134-150
Record at SBU: 129-132
Hartford Hawks (7-10, 1-1 America East)
Head Coach: John Gallagher, fourth season
Overall Record: 44-66
Record at Hartford: same
About the Game
- Defending America East regular season champion Stony Brook returns to conference play to play Hartford, looking to go 2-0 in the league for the third consecutive season.
- This is the 28th all-time meeting; Hartford leads the all-time series 14-13, but the #Seawolves have taken nine of the last 10 meetings.
- This is a matchup between the top two shooting teams in America East (Hartford - .467, Stony Brook .457).
- Jameel Warney scored 20 points at Columbia Wednesday, and in two career games vs. Hartford he is 15-for-21 from the field averages 19 points and 7.5 rebounds.
- The #Seawolves have not lost three straight games since January 17-22, 2011.
- Stony Brook is 16-4 in the month of January since 2012.
- The Hawks, picked to finish fourth in America East, have won five of their last eight games after starting the season 2-7. In conference, they beat Maine this past Thursday and took a loss at Albany on Jan. 4.
- Hartford is America East's top shooting team (.467), but it is also last in the league in field goal percentage defense (.475).
- The Hawks average 7.1 three-pointers made per game, second-best in the conference. They get 32.2% of their points via the three-ball.
- Preseason All-America East junior Mark Nwakamma is the America East's leading scorer at 16.4 points a game. He also leads the Hawks in field goals (99), free throws (71), rebounds (109) and turnovers (57).
If Stony Brook Wins...
- Stony Brook will improve to 2-0 in America East for the third consecutive season and fourth time in the last five years.
- The #Seawolves will extend their conference winning streak to eight games.
- Stony Brook will improve to 10-1 in its last 11 games against Hartford.
The Last Meeting
February 10, 2013
West Hartford, Conn.
Men's hoops downed by Hartford 60-55
Hartford connected on 10 three-pointers, including seven in the second half, to erase a nine-point deficit and beat the Stony Brook men's basketball team 60-55 Sunday afternoon at Chase Family Arena. Freshman Jameel Warney led Stony Brook with a career-high 21 points.