April 26, 2014
Albany, N.Y. - Junior Kevin Krause (Staten Island, N.Y.) drove in three runs as part of a three-hit day, and freshman Cameron Stone (West Haven, Conn.) got the final two outs with the winning run at the plate to lead the Stony Brook baseball team to a 6-3 victory over Albany Saturday at Varsity Field.
Stony Brook is now 9-3 in America East and improves to 23-14 overall on the season. The Great Danes slip to 7-24 overall and 4-12 in America East. Originally scheduled for a doubleheader, the teams only played one game today and will play a doubleheader Sunday.
Head Coach Matt Senk's Reaction
"Getting out to a 3-0 lead set the tone for the day for us. We continued to add on throughout the game, and the run total held up despite Albany's comeback late. We hope to continue the momentum tomorrow and go for a series win."
Stony Brook carried the game for the most part, striking with three runs in the very first inning. Krause got it going with a two-run double to right center that scored junior Robert Chavarria (Garden Grove, Calif.) and junior Cole Peragine (Belle Ewart, Ontario). Sophomore Johnny Caputo (Toronto, Ontario) plated Krause with a two-out RBI single to make it 3-0.
The #Seawolves tacked on runs in the fifth, seventh and eighth innings and led Albany 6-1 going into the ninth inning. The Great Danes loaded the bases and scored a pair of runs on a Josh Nethaway RBI single and an Evan Harasta bases loaded walk.
But Stone, who walked Harasta, then struck out Craig Lepre and got Richard Bacon to ground into a fielder's choice with the bases loaded to end the game, notching his seventh save of the season.
Inside the Numbers
- Stony Brook had 11 hits and drew four walks. The team left 10 men on base.
- Albany had six hits and drew seven walks and left 13 men on base.
- Krause was the lead on offense, going 3-for-4 with three RBI and two runs scored.
- Chavarria (2-for-4), Caputo (2-for-4) and sophomore Jack Parenty (Wantagh, N.Y.) also had multi-hit days for the #Seawolves.
- Peragine and Krause both scored two runs.
- Chavarria, Krause, Caputo and senior Josh Mason (Woodland Hills, Calif.) picked up extra-base hits.
- Senior Brandon McNitt (Chino Hills, Calif.) started and went 5-2/3 innings, allowing one run on two hits. He walked four and struck out seven.
- Senior Bryan Tatelman (South Windsor, Conn.) relieved McNitt in the sixth inning and struck out Charlie Peltz with the bases loaded to end Albany's threat. He went on to pitch 2-2/3 innings, allowing two runs on four hits, walking two and striking out four.
- Stone came in with the bases loaded in the ninth inning and got two outs to earn his seventh save of the season.
News & Notes
- Stony Brook has now won 23 of its last 31 games.
- The #Seawolves are 9-3 in America East, just a half-game behind Hartford for first place.
Stony Brook and Albany will complete the series with a doubleheader Sunday at noon.